[ale] Linux & HP JetDirect printers

Steven A. DuChene at VA Linux Systems sad at valinux.com
Sat Oct 9 08:59:13 EDT 1999

Quite a few people asked about what sort of trouble I have had
sending print jobs to an HP printer connected to the lan with
JetDirect so I thought I would send this to the list. At the
location where my offices are is a HP C2500 printer which is
a fairly high end color deskjet type printer. It has two
printer trays, labeled tray 2 and tray 3. When I try to print
to it from a Linux box which has it setup as a remote printer
sending to the raw queue, the print jog sits forever on the
Linux box and the printer displays on it's LED panel that tray
1 needs paper.

Second problem: Also since this is a remote printer, in Linux
according to all accepted knowledge and documentation there is
no "easy" way to send the print job through a filter prior to
sending it off to the remote printer. From directions in the
printing howto, I have tried a double queue method as outlined
in the same printing howto but haven't been real successful
with that. Besides if I can't get past the "put paper in
non-existent tray one" problem as outlined above, getting this
double queue thing to work is pointless.
Steven A. DuChene	sad at valinux.com