[ale] Redoing Novell server to linux

Jim Kinney jkinney at teller.physics.emory.edu
Thu Oct 7 12:45:19 EDT 1999

A big suggestion. Do a full backup of the original novel server first.
Don't start this changeover until a Friday. Have the ability to fully
restore by Monday the novell if the process hits a snag.

It would be a much better scenario if you could build a seperate machine
first, install Linux and configure it to do all the same stuff as the
novell box currently does.

I don't see any "drop-dead" problems. The mirror will require a kernel
patch and recompile (no big deal). Getting all the print cues correct with
correct drivers may be a problem. The other big headache I see is
translating the access/permissions from novell to Linux. This is where
having the Linux, at least, initially, on a seperate machine would be
usefull.

On the HP JetDirect cards, some of the really old ones don't have good
TCP/IP. I was never able to get remote printing to work with these. One of
the cards has the designation "1793" the HP logo, then "J2337-80001   A".
It just won't do TCP/IP. Works great under novell. It has a 10BaseT and a
10Base2 connector.

Good Luck and lot's of caffeine!