[ale] sshd not responding (conclusion!)

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 1 14:22:00 EDT 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Ed Landa wrote:

> You might try adding "ALL: 127.0.0.1" to your /etc/hosts.allow temporarily
> to see if that fixes it.

Holy moses.  Okay, just for everyone's edification:  you may have a line in
sshd_config that _SAYS_ "AllowHosts myhost.org" but it doesn't mean spit if
sshd was compiled with tcp wrappers, and if you install from an RPM, it
probably was.

How come sshd doesn't log any messages saying it's ignoring this line?  Grr.
I had previously tried adding "ALL: *" to hosts.allow thinking I was testing
for this very thing...  but that '*' ain't no good grammar in a hosts.allow
file, is it now?

Thanks to all!

                      __   _                 "If pro is opposite of con,
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    then what is the opposite of
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   progress?  Congress!"
                     \__.-._)         '''     -- men's restroom, House of
		                              Representatives, Washington