[ale] DHCP Invocation for PPP

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Oct 1 13:53:12 EDT 1999

> Sorry - I wasn't explicit. I need to obtain the IP address of the DNS
> dynamically: ideally when I open the 'ppp' link. 'dhcpcd' does the right
> stuff, but doesn't seem to work over 'ppp0'. The example scripts in
> /usr/doc/ppp-<version> don't seem to cover this, or at least I didn't
> recognize it as such.

PPP just obtains an IP address - I don't believe there are provisions for
passing any other info (DNS, WINS, etc...) over that protocol.  And dhcp
requires broadcasts to work and won't go over PPP.

Why not just set the DNS address in /etc/resolv.conf and leave it there.
It won't really matter what your IP is to do name resolution...the
server should respond regardless...unless it's some draconion setup.