[ale] DHCP Invocation for PPP

James Godfrey bgodfrey at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 1 11:03:13 EDT 1999

>> Can I invoke 'dhcpcd' to retrieve my host's configuration over the ppp link
>> to the host?

>No.  If you wanna get a dynamic IP over PPP you need to use ICMP (I think
>that's the acronym).  It is the way PPP assigns IP's.

ppp uses IPCP (Internet Protocol Control Protocol) to configure the client side information.  DHCP is normally restricted to LAN environments for client configuration.
If you need example configuration scripts for ppp, try looking under /usr/docs/ppp[version number]/examples for generic client configuration scripts.

Benjie
UNIX is user friendly, it's just selective about its friends.