[ale] RH5.2 -> 6.1

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sun Nov 28 10:53:47 EST 1999

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 20:45:51 -0500 (EST) "Eric Z. Ayers"
<eric.ayers at mindspring.com> writes:

>I have heard of people trying to do this before and I think it is a
>bad idea.  The reason why I think that is because there is one library
>(glibc)that all programs link into that for (some reason) the
>developers keep  making incompatible with prior releases.  They did
>this between libc5 and glibc 2, and they did it again with glibc2.1.
>When you get around to installing that library, your netscape and
>window maker will work, and a lot of other stuff is going to break.

Yes, I thought about that and you can see that from this:

[root at darkstar /root]# rpm -qa | grep libc
glibc-devel-2.0.7-29
libc-5.3.12-31
compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1
glibc-2.1.2-11

[root at darkstar /root]# rpm -qi compat-glibc
Name        : compat-glibc                 Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 5.2                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 2.0.7.1                       Build Date: Sat Apr 17
21:04:57 1999
Install date: Tue Oct 26 22:29:34 1999      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM:
compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1.src.rpm
Size        : 4435183                          License: LGPL
Packager    : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/>
Summary     : GNU libc for Red Hat Linux 5.2 backwards compatibility
Description :
This package contains the version 2.0.7 of the GNU C library for
compiling
binaries that will run on Red Hat Linux 2.0 and other glibc 2.0.x Linux
based systems. This package includes the runtime libraries.

I changed the downloading from alphabetical order to grabbing libraries
last night, and installed as many of them as possible this morning, and
now Netscape works, but WindowMaker still does the thing at the end,
which isn't a big deal.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no HTML / MIME / Attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with Attachments.)
RedHat 5.2 (2.2.12) Linux user -- Linux Advocate