[ale] Login Messages

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Sat Nov 27 20:51:49 EST 1999

The change from the old-style pseudo-tty device names to the
Unix 98 style. What used to be /dev/ttypn is now /dev/pts/n.

-- Joe

Bob Kruger wrote:

> Quick question.
>
> I have a number of systems that run Slakware 3.6 to Slackware 4.0, and some
> that run Redhat 5.2.  When telnetting into those systems, I get a message:
>
> Last login: Fri Nov 26 09:19:18  1999 on ttyp0 from station1.....
>
> With the systems running Slack 7.0 and Redhat v6.1, I get the following:
>
> Last login: Fri Nov 26 12:24:38 -0500 1999 on pts/1 from station1....
>
> Can someone fill me in on the change to pts/1 and ttyp0 and what the
> rationale was?  If anyone has a good URL that can fill me in on all of
> this, I would be most appreciative.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Regards - Bob Kruger

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for The Software Monastery,
* which exists solely to provide an organization for which
* I can claim not to speak.
* http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html