[ale] What good is a 386/16???

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 25 20:27:41 EST 1999

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Steven Rice wrote:

> I have a model 70, a 386/25 with a 120 meg hard drive EDSI (whatever),
> and 4 megs,  next to it is a IBM PS/1 398/16.  What can i do with these
> machines other then keep the door open.

Memories :) My first Linux box was a 386-16 with 1Mb of memory.  It is
worth keeping "for kicks" simply because it is the minimal platform
that you can run x86 Linux on (I upgraded to 4Mb just so I could run
X).

Anyway, someone somewhere is now using that "wimpy" motherboard as a
print-spooler for a non-networked postscript printer.

Another use: a platform for your home-automation (like X10) interface.
The computational load is pretty minimal.

Dr. Robert Butera, Assistant Professor                       GGGG
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering		    G
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences		    G   GGGTTTTT
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 		    G    G   T
contact info --> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/    GGGG    T