[ale] BIND (named-8.2.2) wierdness

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Thu Nov 25 19:15:35 EST 1999

Hi, folks...

Dig this (no pun intended...  :)

Ping, traceroute, lynx and whatever else I try to run give me
"hostname lookup failures," but host & nslookup work just fine
in both forward & reverse "directions."  I can access things by
IP-addresses just fine.  Name lookup fails even after I "prime" it
using the "host" command...  Named startup messages appear to be ok.

Software/config:

- Slackware 7 with bind-8.2.2.
- dialup/pppd with the default route on ppp0, if that's of any help...
- nameserver configured as cache-only.

What gives?

This all worked just fine previously (Slackware 4/bind 8.1.2, I think).

-kc
Kenneth W. Cochran
Alexander City, Alabama