[ale] mb upgrade question

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 24 08:52:31 EST 1999

> I know a guy who had a Diamond 32mb card w/ a TNT chipset that he got up to 175 MHz.  however it was still slower than a 2xAGP 16mb Voodoo (V3 i
> think) based card.  And that same voodoo card runs just fine on that MB w/ the celeron at 502MHz. The voodoo card could be jacked up to 180MHz.

There are 3 models of the TNT 2 chipset. Two of the versions are exactly the
same except that one will go up to 250Mhz. This is called the TNT 2 Ultra card.
I suspect that your friend was using the slower one and not the ultra. All the
testing that I have seen show that the Voodoo 3 is slower than the TNT2 Ultra
in almost every case. However, we shouldn't turn this into a he said she said
situation. Have a look at www.tomshardware.com and see what someone who
dissects cards for living has to say.

--V
Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)