[ale] CIR

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Wed Nov 24 06:58:26 EST 1999

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Darius Olteanu wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm lloking for an ISP and some of them r talking about CIR(Commitment
> Information Rate). Can u tell me what CIR is?
>
> Thanks!

Yep.  They guarantee that you will get that much bandwith minimum over
your connection, where ${your_connection}>${CIR}.  It is a Frame Relay
term that is kind of migrating to other network protocols.

...so if you have a 53.333 modem connection and a 32kbps CIR, they
guarantee that there is at least 32kbps of resources of theirs committed
to your modem connection, and that they will not be the cause of any
bottleneck that slows you to less than that.  You may get more, if others
are not using their full CIR, but you will not get less.  In the event
that you start to cut into someone else's bandwidth (someone who is not
sending/receiving at the moment), you will lose the excess bandwidth when
they do start sending or receiving.

...so in a nutshell, it is a form of primitive QoS guarnatee.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Don't Steal - The government hates competition.