[ale] Difference between UNIX'es

Tony Scalzitti tscal at gw.total-web.net
Tue Nov 23 10:45:11 EST 1999

I am getting into this late, however other then the major ATT/BSD split.
There are defferences most notable in file systems with big Unix vendors, in
fact the whole JFS is a big deal right now for the linux community.

Also
> > It is also the only decent flavour of unix I can afford to have on my
home
> > machine.... exclusively.  I don't do Windows.  What other operating
system
> > offers itself, with a decent-sized user community, in the under $100
> > range, and thus frees you from Bill the Gates?

If I am not mistaken you can still get a copy of Sun Solaris x86 for free of
the develper web site, its just a few $ for S/H and about 2-3 weeks.  IMO
Solaris is a bit more ATT like (v. BSD like) but that is a not a simple
matter anymore for big U's

-T