[ale] samba conf

lon feldman lfeldman at realminfo.com
Tue Nov 23 09:15:55 EST 1999

Luis Luna wrote:

> Does anybody have pointers on trying to setup samba on a caldera 2.3
> openlinux box? I followed all the steps outlined in the openlinux manual. I
> followed the steps at samba.org . I can see the box from windows browse
> list. I can click on the file I shared. But as soon as I try to connect to
> it I get a user unknown error. I used smbpasswd, I set it to sync with the
> domain controller, I manually set the password on the nt box the same as the
> linux user, I did smbuser. What am I missing? Has anybody ever got samba to
> run correctly? I am fairly new to linux, so I am also having another problem
> related to this samba problem. I installed a new hard-drive after I did the
> Caldera install. Linux recognized it as /dev/hdc1. Great! I ran mkfs on
> /dev/hdc1. I made sure that it was in the fstab file. I can mount /dev/hcd1.
> How do I make a "/" mount point on /dev/hdc1 ? I want to create a dir on
> this drive and share it out with samba. I spent about 3 days trying to get
> this config going. I am ready to shuck the whole and just put nt workstation
> on it. The drive will only be used by one or two people at the most anyways.
> I really want to get linux working in this conf to be able to expand it to
> do other work on our network.
> Any help or pointer will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
> Luis Luna
> mailto:luis at btr-architects.com

First lets address the partition.  You just want to have a folder and
have acces through the network.
Second you have an existing NT domain.

	Change security = user
	to security = server
	then change ; password server =
	to password server = NTSERVER (where NT SERVER is your NT server .)
		This means that you must be logged into the domain on your NTSERVER to
get access. You shouldn't need a smbpasswd file or smbusers if you use
this.  You need the smbpasswd file if security = user.   This means you
log into the linux box and if you have a NT PDC, just login to the one
place.

	For the partition mount it under a partition name that you will
understand what is mount there.  It is transparent to the users.  Next
setup a share in your smb.conf
	[Public]
	path=/mount-point
	public = yes
	browseable = yes
	create mode =0755
	writeable = yes

	Now you have a public share that is accessable to only people logged in
on your domain.  The share is browseable, writeable and when you create
in the folder, the permissions are 0755.

The smb.conf is a very powerful config file that you must also be
careful when manipulating.
	Some points to look at:
	os level = >32 (So there won't be a browse master election with NT)
	wins support  = no
	wins server = NTSERVER

To test to see if your smb.conf has problems type the following:
testparm
This parses your smb.conf and will alert you if there are any problems.
--
Lawrence (Lon) Feldman		|"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all
(770) 446-1332 x108		|lfeldman at realminfo.com