[ale] kernel upgrade

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Mon Nov 22 12:37:46 EST 1999

dean pinili wrote:

> hello to all,
>      another newbie question folks. i'm running Red
> Hat 5.1 kernel 2.0.35, I decided to upgrade my kernel
> to version 2.2.12. the compile went well but when i
> start to configure the ethernet card this is what i
> get:
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.21
> SIOCSIFADDR:Operation not suppported by device

Since you get the same problem with the loopback device,
it looks like your kernel is not properly configured.
Make sure you select support for the loopback interface
and the proper Ethernet driver (Tulip).

However, you should also check to make sure the ifconfig is
really failing. I have three Tulip cards (NetGear FA-310s),
and they ALWAYS get this error upon boot, but then
function properly anyway (as far as I can tell, at
least). This behavior started with kernel 2.2.x.

-- Joe Knapka