[ale] install 6.1 or upgrade 5.1

Dahmani nouredine nour_meteo at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:51:33 EST 1999

hi guys;

I have the redhat 5.1 on pII 266MHz i686 installed with a SiS 6326 agp / 8Mo
onboard graphic card , i hope now to upgrade it to the 6.1 vesion which i
download from a anonymous ftp server without losing my data on my PC,
i try to install it with  the boot.img disk i found a error 'it tell me that
it can't read module-info file, what can do to bypass this problem, i'm
newbie in the redhat linux environement,
i try to upgrade the kernel 2.0.x to 2.2.x but there is conflict which i
can't understood and resolve it,
i try by 1- upgrade mkinitrd, SysVinit*, initscript* (6.1)
         2- then kernel-headers, kernel-source
         3- finally the kernel, kernel-ibcs*, kernel-pcmcia*
by rpm -Uvh --force *

but without succesful, i don't understand well the steps to upgrade, i
follow help to upgrade 5.0 to 6.0 doc

it's unlisted how can manage this problem to install XFree86, can you tell
me if there is another solutions

forwarding to hearing from you soon; best regards

thanks.
nouredine