[ale] Win95 'net use' command

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Sun Nov 21 19:46:18 EST 1999

> We have a *nix server that NFS exports a directory: /opt/shared which
> shows up in network neighbor hood as SHARED.

For one thing, you didn't mention what version of Unix.  Based on what you
said, I'm sure it isn't Linux....more below.

Why not use Samba if the Win95 boxes need access instead of NFS?  (Does
windows nativly see NFS?)

> We have Win95 boxes that need to mount as:
> 	h:	/shared
> 	j:	/shared/java/classes

> fails.  What I'm seeing from my testing is that the Windows GUI will
> infact mount a drive letter rooted at a subdirectory of an NFS exported
> mount point, but 'net use' won't.

Not sure about that.  From what I've seen (again, with SMB, not NFS) is
that Win will only let you mount/map the top part of a share.

> The NFS export won't allow exportfs to read as:
> 	/opt/shared
> 	/opt/shared/java/classes
> as it complains on the second line the /opt/shared is already exported.

This is what makes me think that you are not using Linux.  Linux will
support exporting a subdirectory of an export, however, most other unices
will not allow this to happen.  Take a look at the man page for export to
see.

Take a look at the windows/dos subst command.  It'll let you take a
directory and make it a virtial drive...you could then have
/opt/shared/java/classes aliased to j:

	-Dan