[ale] mb upgrade question

Robert Hoffman hoffmanrob at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 11:19:46 EST 1999

Be careful about assuming you will be able to upgrade
to an upper end PIII. Intel has been changing their
specs again. Any PIII chip with an 'e' on the end of
its name runs on a 133 Mhz bus instead of 100
Mhz...this requires more expensive memory also. In
addition, the new PIIIs will be going back to a socket
design instead of slot1. AMD makes faster chips and
changes their specs less often.

You may want to consider doing what I just did: I just
upgraded to a dual processor system running two
Celeron 466Mhz chips on an Abit BH6 motherboard. You
can still use your 66Mhz memory and it screams. Took
me about a minute and 15 sec to compile and install
Star Office.

The motherboard was $145 and the chips came in a
retail package for $114 each.

And the best part is that Quake3 is multithreaded.

Good Luck.

-Rob Hoffman
"It is unacceptable to say that it is well-known that
something is broken in Linux. If something is broken
it must be fixed."