[ale] samba conf

Luis Luna Luis at btr-architects.com
Fri Nov 19 15:59:59 EST 1999

Okay here are the answers to the questions about my conf, thanks for the
fast reply by the way!
1.<For user access, did you enable
encrypted passwords on the linux box? (recommended) If not, did you turn off
encrypted passwords on the Winbloze box? (not recommended).>
Reply- I turned on encrypted passwords on the linux box, edited the conf
file where the howto's and comments said to.
2.It's complaining "User unknown", not "Password invalid", so What username
are you logging into
winbloze with?
Reply - When I attempt to connect to a visable share on the linux box - a
dialog box pops up and states "Incorrect password or unknown username Fpr
\\sol\homes" I type in the user name I set up on both the linux box and the
NT box, both passwords being the same. They are the same on the NT box,
linux box, and samba.
3. Do you really want to mount /dev/hdc1 as /? - As for the second hard
drive, you can NOT have more than one '/' (root)
partition in a *nix system, so mount the new drive as "/public" or "/shared"
or something like that. Then setup samba to share that partition.
Reply - Oh, did not know that! Doh! I am coming from a windows/dos envir.
and I am used to formatting a harddrive and sharing the drive.
I looked on Caldera website for installing/formatting a second drive and I
did't come across a difinitive way to setup a second drive.
My fstab looks like this:
/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
Question: If I change /dev/hdc1 / to /dev/hdc1 /shared will it automatically
create /shared?
4. Questions that come to mind regarding Samba:  are you trying to integrate
into a pre-existing NT domain environment?  Are you sure you should even be
using smbpasswd?
Reply - Yes, existing NT domain, smbpasswd is what I read that I should do.
Maybe I read the howto's and did't understand them clearly? Very likely. I
tried to read as much as possible before I posted.
Thanks!
    Luis Carlos Luna, Associate AIA
         Work: 612.332.1234
    mailto:luis at btr-architects.com