[ale] NTP / Linux problem

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Nov 17 20:39:40 EST 1999

>>>>> "jfondow" == jfondow  <jfondow at sprintmail.com> writes:

    jfondow> I am trying to setup my system to keep correct time with
    jfondow> ntp.  As near as I can tell the ntpd is running but I
    jfondow> don't know who to sync with the time servers.  Here is
    jfondow> the message I get:

    jfondow> ntpdate tick.gatech.edu 17 Nov 20:04:13 ntpdate[10132]:
    jfondow> the NTP socket is in use, exiting

        ntpdate can't run at the same time as xntpd (you can however
run `ntpdate -q' though but this only queries the time, it doesn't set
the time).  You'll need to stop xntpd before running ntpdate.

    jfondow> I have the following ntp servers in /etc/ntp.conf: server
    jfondow> ntp2.usno.navy.mil # 192.5.41.209 server tick.gatech.edu
    jfondow> # 130.207.244.240

        Try running `ntpq localhost', and then use the `lpeers'
command which will let you see what servers xntpd is sync'd to.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=