[ale] Making JPEG indexes under Linux

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Nov 11 20:18:16 EST 1999

    Thompson> I recently obtained one of the Sony Mavecia cameras
    Thompson> which stores the pictures as *jpg files on floppies, and
    Thompson> have run into a slight challenge which I didn't
    Thompson> forsee. Under Linux, is there a _simple_ way to create
    Thompson> an index/contact sheet/thumbnail sheet (I'm not even
    Thompson> sure what they are called!) from stored JPEGs?

        A quick search of freshmeat.net for `contact' brings up:

icontact
    Mark Hanson - September 11th 1999, 20:53 EST

    icontact is a highly-configurable Perl script that takes a bunch
    of image files and creates contact sheets. icontact determines the
    file format by the file name extension of the input files, and
    then uses internal tables to look up the commands it needs to
    execute in order to convert the images to the PPM format. Once
    they're converted, icontact uses various pbmplus commands to
    create contact sheets. icontact is particularly useful if you have
    lots of image files in all sorts of different formats and you want
    to create an index of all of them without converting them all to a
    common format first. This package also includes a filter to
    convert xv's .xvpics files into PPM format.

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/09/11/937097608.html

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=