[ale] dial-up set-up

Chris Kilroy kilroyc at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 9 12:20:15 EST 1999

KDE doesn't need to be running, but X does.  Now you can actually run
some X programs in terminal mode, but i don't know how to do it off the
top of my head.  But "Essential UNIX System Admin" from O'Reilly does
tell you how.

my advice mayt not have been that good considering your ultimate plans

i was actually about to try to set up a dial-on demand 'router' at home,
so i haven't actually tried what you are doing.  i mistakenly interpreted
your email(i was thinking of something else and thought i understood your
question better) as  more of a generic ISP connection issue.  More of a
generic "i can't get PPPd to do what i want"-issue.

Sorry for the misinfo!

take it easy
chris "i will pay more attention next time" kilroy

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> I need a clarification. Does KPPP monitor for outgoing packets and
> automagically bring the line up when a request for the network comes along?
>
> Also does KDE need to be up and running (along with X) in order to get
> this functionality?
>
> I'm just asking because it simply would not have occured to me to run
> X and KDE on a box to get the same functionality as diald or PPPD
> configed with outdial.
>
> BAJ

------

Chris M. Kilroy