[ale] dial-up set-up

Chris Kilroy kilroyc at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 9 11:53:29 EST 1999

My advice to you is to upgrade to 6.1.  KPPP works as seemlessly as
Windows Dial-Up networking (for novice setup).  You just need to know
your ISP's DNS, the right phone # and that is it.  and your username and pw!

Since the internet is your support network i think this is a good fix w/
RH 6.1.  i mean it works in 6.0 and earlier, but it is more difficult for
a novice, and since you need email/irc/linux.org for 'tech support' it is
really important to have ppp work easily.

Take it easy
Chris

Hmmm...one problem w/ upgrading, when i upgraded 2 machines, i had to
reinstall the OS, it didn't detect my linux install, so if you have shit
on your PC that needs to be backed up or can't be deleted, upgrading w/
6.1's installer program might not be such a viable option.

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Richard Whitfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am quite a novice at Linux and so this will probably be a bit of a silly
> question, but...
>
> What is the most popular way of setting up a system so that it will
> automatically dial into an ISP when needed?
>
> I am using the Redhat 6.0 distribution. I have looked at various HowTo's
> (ppp, ISP-Hookup, modem, etc) I have also found this thing called diald that
> seems quite reasonable. The end result is that there seem to be a million
> ways of skinning this cat, and I want to know a good one - reliable and
> relatively straightforward.
>
> I want to set up a server on my home network that can be the Internet
> gateway for the client PCs. In the PC world I have used wingate for this
> task in the past.
>

> Thanks for any help people can give me,
>
> Richard Whitfield
> Megatrend Information Services Ltd.