[ale] Re: 115.00 fine for bouncing email to critter at wizvax.net

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Nov 8 22:39:46 EST 1999

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 09:51:34PM -0500, Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

	[...]

> -Eric.

> P.S. I found the bad email address, #59 on the list.  I think there
> are over 400 people on the list: once I found the bad address I
> stopped the script, so only a few lucky people recieved this gem
> personalized to them.

	No fooling?!?!?!

	So I'm one of the lucky ones with a number less that 59!  :-)

	I'm honored!  :-)

	BTW...  We're discussing how to do something similar on a list
over over 10,000 subscribers.  Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated
than your solution since remailers are involved (expanding the potential
subscriber base to over 30,000).  Some strip out sooo much information that
we were going to use the "+" extension to sendmail.  Send an individualized
message to everyone on the list with a detailed message saying not to reply
if you want to remain on the list.  The message would be from an address
like "majordomo+${MD5_HASH}" with $MD5_HASH in the Message-ID, Reply-To,
Subject, From, Cc, X-Foo, and body.  Anything coming back to majordomo
with that hash anywhere in the message would get queued to get nuked.
Anyone bouncing gets an immediate second message for a second chance with
a warning to others (if it's a remailer) to contact a live-ware person
before they are cut off.  third bounce with a warning and they are toasted.
Repeat once every six months.  :-/

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/