[ale] Problem with Netscape and dial up

Malcolm Silberman msilber at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 8 08:33:40 EST 1999

I have a number of Linux workstations configured the same way. One in
particular is acting very strange when I dial up my isp. I can use a
number of methods to dial up including kppp, the dial up part works fine
and makes a connection. I can ping a few sites but others cannot.
However when I load my browser I get route to server cannot be found. I
have checked my DNS which is configured for a caching DNS and it seems
ok when I restart named and view the log. I have a feeling the problem
lies in a routing of some sorts. My workstation has an ip address of
192.168.100.1 and gateway of 192.168.100.254. When I connect my ifconfig
ppp0 gets assigned and the P-t-p is 168.121.1.1. Somehow I think this is
the problem, but have no idea where to find it or diagnose it. Anyone
got ideas?

thanks
MS