[ale] Assistance needed with set-up (LAN/firewall/ipmasq)

Daniel Woodard design at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 2 13:54:25 EST 1999

Hello,

I humbly come to the list seeking assistance in my project.

I'm primarily a computer artist, but dabble in the technical as well. Every
so often, I pick up a Linux distro and install it, muck around,and then
eventually my other work picks up and at some point I forget where I was
and wipe the Linux partition off my dual boot WinNT box. I started with Red
Hat 5.1 and now use SuSE 6.1.

Well, now I have a dedicated machine for Linux and an actual task I want to
use it for. Unfortunately, while I believe I could complete the set-up by
myself, it's just a totally inefficient process, and would probably take me
100 times longer than somebody who knows what they are doing- ie I've had
great luck as a hack, but I actually want to accomplish something this time.

What I am doing is somewhat simple I'm sure.

I have 1 SuSE 6.1 Linux box, 2 WinNT boxes and 1 Mac box. I also have a 4
port cable modem and a 5 port 10/100 hub.

I would like to use the Linux box to ipmasq the cable modem out to my other
3 computers.

I would like to use the Linux box as a firewall.

I would like to use the Linux box as a fileserver/bridge for the WinNT and
the Mac.

My experience is limited to: I can set-up the Linux box in a raw state with
functioning X windows and two ethernet cards. I have gotten SAMBA to work
in the past for connecting to my WinNT boxes. Um, wow, I guess that's it.

My fear is that it will take me a very long time to figure out how to
perform the above. I edited the rc.config file about 50 times last night
alone and still have not connected the Linux box to the Internet, though I
can ping my two WinNT boxes. It's just too hunt and peck for me, and even
if I got it working, I don't have a clue in regards security.

I'm interested in finding someone to act as a mentor to me in this process.
In exchange, I can provide cash, a nice dinner for you and your gal, a warm
feeling in your soul that you helped somebody out, or help somebody with
graphics questions in multimedia or print.

Obviously, I'm in need and thus flexible. We can meet face to face if this
is something that somebody thinks can be done in one sitting, or a phone
and/or e-mail relationship could be utilized. I also promise to shield you
from anything to do with the WinNT or Mac boxes in case they are viewed as
computing's answer to ebola.

Thanks a lot.

Daniel Woodard

daniel.woodard at extricate.com