[ale] RAID 0

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Nov 2 11:09:15 EST 1999

I have two 9G drives and I'm trying to setup raid0 on them to make one big
18G drive.  Pretty simple - so I though.

As this is Linux, I'm in version hell between kernels, patches, tools, and
documentation. I currently have a 2.2.13 kernel, with multiblock support
and raid0 and so on compiled into the kernel.

I have the raidtools-19990824-0.90, off kernel.org.

I have the HOWTO, but it is very interested in talking about 2.0.x
kernels, and doesn't help too much.

My problem is when I try to do raidstart /dev/md0 I get
/dev/md0: Invalid argument

My raidtab looks like
raiddev /dev/md0
           raid-level                0
           nr-raid-disks             2
           nr-spare-disks            0
           persistent-superblock     1
           chunk-size                4
           device                    /dev/sda1
           raid-disk                 0
           device                    /dev/sdb1
           raid-disk                 1

I tried mkraid /dev/md0, but it aborted, however the docs say it is not
needed for linear mode or raid0

So, what am I doing wrong?