[ale] Telnet problems - continued

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Tue May 25 12:38:06 EDT 1999

The 255.255.255.0 is fine... That just emans you are limiting your ip addresses on yoru network to the last octet of the mask.  For your network you could even do 255.255.255.248

To keep things simple...you could have your internal network on a 10.x subnet...say 10.100.x.x and use a 255.255.0.0 mask.  You then could maybe set your servers up (including print servers) on say 10.100.8.x
and set all your workstations up on say.. 10.100.10.x

Don't be afraid to play around with it...  And if you need help calculating subnets, go to yahoo/lycos/whatever and do a search for "ipcalc"

What I would try to do in rgards to your situation is is ping all your stations from the linux box and see what kind of response you get...then ARP all of them and see what MAC is replying relative to the ip address.

It still sounds like you are missing some numbers somewhere... If your subnets are all the same, make sure you have valid ip address that can talk on the subnet you have specified.  (again, refer to ipcalc) It would be very confusing for me to explain subnetting in email.

-Patrick

>>> "Brubakken, Eric" <eric.brubakken at SouthernEnergy.Com> 05/25 8:52 AM >>>
Yesterday I posted a problem using Telnet and being forced to use the modem
to connect to my LAN at home.  From numerous responses here I have solved
that delema and thanks to all that responded to my question.  But now for
the next round.

I have 2 WinXX boxes on my LAN and I can open a MS-DOS command window on
each box and ping my Linux box without a problem.  But on the new Win98 box
when I now use Telnet every thing 'appears' to be working but,  I do not get
any prompt for a login when trying to connect the the Linux box.  I can type
in characters, but nothing else happens.  When I select disconnect from the
menu I get this message "You still have open remote connections - do you
want to disconnect?".  Each PC connected to the LAN has a subnet address of
255.255.255.0 is this correct or should each subnet be unique?

Thanks

Eric