[ale] smbmount,2.3.4,backup

UnderGrid Founder undrgrid at undergrid.net
Sun Jun 13 21:46:12 EDT 1999

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

Wandered Inn decided to waste my bandwidth saying:
> "Gary S. Mackay" wrote:
> >=20
> > My primary goal is to use my NT box (a necessary evil for my job) which=
 has a
> > 15gig hard drive as a backup. I'd like to setup a cron job to mount a '=
backup'
> > share, copy the ENTIRE linux drive to it (that's another unknown at the
> > moment), and then unmount.
>=20
> Kinda scary to attempt to use an NT box to retain your Linux backup.=20
> I'm afraid you might have some problems with case sensitivity issues,
> although I've not thought it out too well.  As I recall, NT keeps case
> sensitivity, but ignores it so that "foo" is the same file as "Foo".=20
> I'm not sure how Samba deals with this, since, I believe this is 'file
> system' specific.  I do a similar thing, but the other way around.  Of
> course I've got the space on my Linux box.
>=20
	Actually I found out recently, out of necessity, that Seagate sold
their Backup Exec software to Veritas who has put out a new version (7.3)
which includes a Backup Exec UNIX Agent for Linux... they've test'd it on
RedHat 5.2 and I currently have it runnin on Debian 2.1 (slink) and one=20
runnin "The Hot Potato" without any problems... with the UNIX agent Backup
Exec will store all the perms and ownership along with the ctime and restore
changes everythin back to it's original state...
	Grant'd I would much prefer a backup solution that was all Linux but
with this agent using Backup Exec on a NT machine isn't that bad...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

--=20
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---,
| Jeremy T. Bouse  -  UnderGrid Network Services, LLC  -   www.UnderGrid.ne=
t  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9  =
   |
|         Public PGP key available via 'finger undrgrid at UnderGrid.net'     =
   |
| Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net  -  NIC Whois: JB5713  -  undrgrid at UnderGrid.n=
et |
|      promotion, n.: New title, new salary, new office, same old crap.    =

---'

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50--