[ale] Need perl 5 manual recommendations.

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Jul 28 21:48:51 EDT 1999

    Jim> Can anyone recommend a manual or two for perl reference?
    Jim> I've got access to an old "Programming perl" manual, but it
    Jim> isn't perl 5.  I've also read through "Learning perl" (also
    Jim> an O'Reilly book, I think) and it seemed OK, but I thought

	_Learning Perl_ is more of an introductory text aimed
partially at non-programmers.  If you're familiar with any of perl's
ancestors (C, sed, awk) or another programming language you might find
the llama a bit basic.

	If you're serious about perl, you can't go wrong with the blue
spined (2nd edition) camel (_Programming Perl_) and the ram (_Perl
Cookbook_).  _Effective Perl Programming_ is worth picking up as well
once you're comfortable with perl.

	Also, keep in mind that perl ships with more or less the
complete text of the blue camel online.  It's accessable using either
man (assuming a correctly set MANPATH; usually /usr/lib/perl5/man) or
the perldoc program that comes with perl (most useful on subunixen).
And they're also available on the web from www.perl.com (or
language.perl.com; one of the two, can't remember which off hand).

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=