[ale] Need perl 5 manual recommendations.

Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 28 17:42:45 EDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:48:07 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a manual or two for perl reference?  I've got
>access to an old "Programming perl" manual, but it isn't perl 5.

Get the 2nd edition of Programming Perl - it covers Perl 5, and makes a
nice hard-copy reference.  I'd also suggest getting the Perl Cookbook -
this is essentially a book full of examples and it's a good way of
learning common Perl idioms.

If you're already an experienced programmer, you might want to check
out "Perl, the Programmer's Companion".

Also, you might want to note that you've already got extensive Perl
documentation on your PC, as the Perl distribution comes with a very
nice set of docs.  Try 'man perl' or 'perldoc perl' for an introduction
to them.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at mindspring.com    | The attempt to legislatively