[ale] Sound Stuff

David Brooks db at amorphous.org
Tue Jul 27 21:18:46 EDT 1999

Perhaps someone could help me figure this out -- Ive had it working
before but under Debian and not redhat (like it should matter...):

Under RedHat's sndconfig utility, it autoprobes and finds a CMD*
soundboard.  My sound card is built into the motherboard.  When it tries
to play a sound, nothing comes out.  Nothing comes out under any
configuration of that board.

When I choose Sound Blaster AWE32/64, I can cat *.au files to /dev/audio
and get *really faint* sound, and /dev/sndstat shows a Sound Blaster 16
as an audio device (nothing else except timer).  When I fire up x11amp,
I get this message on stdout:

Decode Loop

...every time I hit the play button.  It's done this with multiple mp3
files, so its not the particular file I'm playing.  I dont have an audio
cable from my CDROM to soundcard, so I cant test it there, either...

Thanks,
Dave