[ale] DNS

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jul 27 08:05:05 EDT 1999

Michael B Golden wrote:

>         Okay, I just ran into a problem with DNS. My DNS server is down
> (Or has
> been purposely disabled for me(which I do suspect)), and the sysadmin
> won't be back for another 3 days. I am wondering if there is any services
> to look up IP addresses. If not, is there anyway that every domain I go
> during normal operation can have it's IP addy and domain name inserted
> into my /etc/resolv.conf file so that when it does go down there are
> still
> a variety of sites to look at?

Actually, you would put the associated ip/host name in your /etc/hosts
file.  /etc/resolv.conf contains ips for machines that are going to look
up ips for you, where as, your /etc/hosts file contains ip/hosts
references.

> P.S. Is it possible that I also could have screwed something up with my
> configuration? It is still listed correctly in resolv.conf, and I can
> still get things from hosts listed int the /etc/hosts file. traceroute
> also reports that the DNS server is online. If it could be something on
> this end, where do I look?

You should still be able to get to hosts in your /etc/hosts file.  I
believe there is a file somewhere (can't recall where /etc/hosts.conf
possibly??) that identifies the order in which to search for name
resolution (/etc/hosts, then dns...)  Maybe someone else can share this
info..

Can you ping the dns server(s)??  If you have more than one dns entry,
try swapping them.  There have been times where I would be having
problems with one server and switching the entries corrects the problem
(for me).  Doesn't actually correct the problem, just uses the other
server first.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl