[ale] sniffer

Philip W. Dalrymple III pwd at mdtsoft.com
Mon Jul 26 15:56:44 EDT 1999

On 26 Jul, Patrick Ramsey wrote:
> Anyone know of a fully functional sniffer for linux/curses/X
>
> Not like tcpdump or ksniffer... But a true network packet analyzer?
>
> -Patrick
>
> Doesn't have to be gui!  I'm accustomed to curses based!  :)

there is one under development that I find useful it looks a bit
like a NG Sniffer (tm I assume) and can decode a number of packet
formats. not sure what you are looking for.

Ethereal is a network traffic analyzer for Unix and Unix-like operating
systems.  It is based on GTK+, a graphical user interface library,
and libpcap, a packet capture and filtering library.

The official home of Ethereal is

    http://ethereal.zing.org

The latest distribution can be found in the subdirectory

    http://ethereal.zing.org/distribution

Interesting and exotic packet traces can be found at

    http://ethereal.zing.org/~gram/sample.html

--
Philip W. Dalrymple III <pwd at mdtsoft.com>
MDT Software - The Change Management Company