[ale] ftp error

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Sat Jul 24 19:39:20 EDT 1999

Most likely a firewall is interfering with the initiation of a data
connection from the server back to the client.  FTP connections
through masquerading firewalls can also lead to problems.
Many ftp clients have an option for using "passive ftp mode"
which solves the problem.  I don't know if the ftp client that
comes with Windows 95 can use passive mode.  You may
need better software (best solved by getting rid of windows :))
or else fix the firewall problem.

Joe Steele