[ale] p2c Problem

MetroBoy metroboy at sprynet.com
Sat Jul 24 14:46:55 EDT 1999

> Problem 1:  I keep getting repeated errors like
>
>      .
>      .
>      .
>      "BIG.PAS", line 407: Warning: Unrecognized character 015 in
>      file [247]
>      "BIG.PAS", line 408: Warning: Unrecognized character 015 in
>      file [247]
>      "BIG.PAS", line 409: Warning: Unrecognized character 015 in
>      file [247]
>      "BIG.PAS", line 410: Warning: Unrecognized character 015 in
>      file [247]
>      .
>      .
>      .
>
> What is the significance of "015" and "247"?  This source code came by
> roundabout means from VAX/VMS, so it wouldn't surprise me if the source
> file needs massaging somehow.

I've never used p2c, but here's my guess.  '015' is octal.  It
translates to 0x0D in hex or 13 in decimal.  13 is carriage return.
Perhaps you are missing a line terminator (a semicolon) at line 406,
407, or 408.  You (or some program) may have performed a line wrap that
split a line in two, thus causing a line to end without a terminator.
But even if the line has not been split, it may just be missing a semi.