[ale] VNC (Was: Java on VNC display)

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Fri Jul 23 23:42:38 EDT 1999

Jeff, what kinds of problems are you having?

Should just be a case of installing Xvnc, vncviewer, vncserver,
and vncpasswd in a directory that's on your $PATH.

If the server dies on startup with "Can't open default font 'fixed'"
(look in ~/.vnc/<host>:<display>.log),
make sure you have the 100dpi fonts installed on your font path
(on my Slackware system, they go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi).
Other than that, I've never had any trouble getting VNC to run
on Linux.

Oh yeah, if you want to use the Java viewer, you have to make sure
that the class files that come with VNC are in a place where Xvnc
can find them. It's in the README file.

Jeff Dilcher wrote:
ls > Does anyone know of a good info source for getting VNC running on a
> Redhat 6.0 Gnome
> systerm?  I used this program on NT, but, I the setup seemed a bit
> more daunting on
> Linux...
>

> -Jim

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...