[ale] Weird BogoMips Values

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 16 09:21:15 EDT 1999

> 	I have noticed some strange BogoMips values on my machines.  I have a
> Pentium 233 MMX that registers around 400 while my Pentium II 233 only
> registers around 250.  Both have comparable configurations with same amount
> of memory and swap space.  Do you think that the older Pentium 233 MMX could
> actually be faster than the newer Pentium II 233?  Strange.....

Take a look a the bogomip mini-howto. The bogomips doesnt measure real mips but rather a
timing loop that is custom to each processor type and generation. Its different for PIIs
and the classic pentium and you can't compare bogos across categories objectively.

Subjectively is a whole 'nuther matter :-)

Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
Lightness has a call that's hard to hear  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/