[ale] Semi random lock ups

Irv Mullins irv at ellijay.com
Thu Jul 15 16:59:59 EDT 1999

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, you wrote:
> Then fvwm2 is probably what I should do next.  I was hoping that KDE would have
> been a big improvement over Gnome/Enlightenment, and it was somewhat of an
> improvement, but what disturbs me is that X crashes me out or the machine locks
> up.  Slow I can take.  Flaky I can't.

I tried Mandrake and KDE - worked great for a few hours, then started
acting strangely (e-mails and binary code snippets in var/log/messages,
for example)
I went back to SuSE and KDE - it works for a few days, then starts locking
at random. So far, ctl-alt-bksp gets me out.
I think tonight I will load Slack 4.0 and Windowmaker - Slack 3.5 and
WindowMaker ran for about 8 months without a problem. Maybe being up to date
isn't worth the effort. - and, hey, WindowMaker looks good.

Irv