[ale] Semi random lock ups

Patrick Ramsey Ramsey_Patrick at promina.org
Thu Jul 15 12:06:07 EDT 1999

I can see this....

Try runnning win98 on a 486....

Remember, where linux runs outstanding on a 486, Xfree is a resource hog... If I were you I would try running xfree witha little "less" desktop than kde/gnome.  Maybe I cant even remember the default manage xfree comes with it's been so long ago.... But I do remember having x running on a 4/66
without locking up.  It was very slow...but it worked...

>>> Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at bellsouth.net> 07/15/99 11:46AM >>>
Actually, I'm having a similar problem on a 486DX/33.  It doesn't matter which resolution I use, whether I'm using Gnome or KDE, or whether I use a serial or PS/2 mouse, it's very easy for me to make the X server crash or lock up the machine totally.  It'll run forever either without
X or with X that isn't touched.

What's frustrating is that since the networking doesn't work right either, I haven't been able to reliably xdm to it from another machine.

Same machine hasn't been able to run Win3.1 or 95 either.  It's just a bad, bad, machine but it's the only 2nd computer I have.

- Jeff