[ale] Weird dd error..

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Wed Jul 14 00:06:39 EDT 1999

At 03:41 PM 04/16/1999 -0400, Mike Fletcher wrote:

>     Jay> I have been reading about how the dd command can be used to
>     Jay> (essentially) mirror data from one hard drive to another.
>     Jay> Well, I bit the bullet, upgraded my hda1 from a 604 MB drive
>     Jay> to a 1.02 GB drive.  Now my 1.02 GB drive is showing up (in
>     Jay> df) as a 604 MB drive!  (The data came out correctly,
>     Jay> however)
>
>         You really should only use dd to duplicate physically identical
>drives.  In your case, even though the drive is 1G, you've copied a
>filesystem which thinks it resides on a 604M device.  You might be able
>to use one of the ext2 editors and increase the size of the filesystem.
>A much better solution would be to use a program like dump or tar to
>move the information over.

         If I want to move over all the data on that drive, what would the
full tar command be?

cd / ; tar -cf /dev/stdout . | (cd /disk2 ; tar -xf /dev/stdin)

Thanks!
Jay
-----
Jay Finch                        : "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander.
Owner/GKE of NERO-Atlanta        :  Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov.
(770) 650-0410   (voice)         :  I am the right hand of vengeance and the
pagejay at larp.com (alpha pager)   :  boot that is going to kick your sorry ass
horus at larp.com                   :  all the way back to Earth, sweetheart.
kateth at bck.org                   :  I am death incarnate, and the last living
MTBI Survey says:  ENXJ          :  thing that you are ever going to see.
Check out my home page at:       :  God sent me."
http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/:         -- Cmdr Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)