[ale] interesting article...

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Jul 13 20:34:21 EDT 1999

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Mandrake (Geoff Harrison) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 07:18:33PM -0400, Glenn R. Stone wrote:
> > "David S. Jackson" wrote:
> > >
> > > I just read this article recommended off one of the FreeBSD lists:
> > >
> > > http://www.opseeds.com/unixstuff.htm
> > >
> > > I guess you could call it the "Grand Unix Unification" scheme??
> >
> > Lookit the date on the thing.  November 1993.  Just about where Linux
> > started to take off.  Interesting, how Sun has kinda become moot on
> > the low end, and Caldera has filled in where Novell left off....
>
> actually I'll point out that's larry mcvoy, the guy from bitmover.
> he's a linux guy.

*is* a Linux guy.  At the time he wrote that paper, he'd been an engineer at
Sun for a number of years, where he was one of the key people behind SunOS
4, developed their clustered systems / HA product line from the ground up,
and probably some other stuff.  After that he was an engineer at SGI and did
some of their high-performance I/O.  Oh yeah, I think he was involved with
Cobalt (those cute little blue Linux MIPS boxes) too.  At any rate, he had
the credentials when he wrote it such that Sun should've listened to him
before it was too late ;-).

later,
chris

--