[ale] VmWare

Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com> Zhongbin Yu " <zyu at premtec.com>
Mon Jul 12 10:21:50 EDT 1999

hi, Lisa,

I tried VmWare on a dual-boot machine with win95 and RH6. To use the
existing Win95 partition, I followed the instruction on 'using raw device'
or alike. It runs fine. However, since the guest OS, win95 in this case,
sees the device in the way VmWare presents to it, I had to install new
drivers for devices such as mouse/video driver. Booting to win95 through
real-reboot instead of within vmWare, of course detects a different set of
hardware, needs another set of drivers.  However, this is my own fault.
Somewhere in the doc it said you should save your working hardware config
to a file before you starts to change things on that windows partition.
If the instructions were followed, you should be able to select different
hw config upon bootup within vmWare or from real-reboot.

The above experience is based on playing with beta version in May.
Things may have changed.

Good luck.

Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)	1-800-979-1105 (P)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

#I got the first beta release when it came out and was just amazed at
#how easy the product was to install. Loaded up Windows NT4 with no
#problems and was able to run all the Office apps as well as Netscape.
#Very impressive product. I believe that you can use an existing
#partition from your VM (this feature was not yet available when I got
#mine) but I don't know what the issues are if you try to use a live
#partition (like one the host OS is currently using) from the VM. I'm
#just looking for an excuse to buy the thing now. The only downside is
#speed but when you consider what its doing, its not bad at all. Its
#cool to have a remote X session going with a Word document running in
#a Window!
#
#	good luck & let us know how it goes for you,
#
#		Ben Scherrey
#
#Lisa Chiang wrote:
#>
#> I am going to try out the evaluation copy of VMWare.  For home users its $75
#> til the end of July, I think.
#>
#> Anyway, has anyone tried it out yet?  I'm interested if anyone has tried the
#> following.  I already have my hard disk set up for dual booting Windows 98 and
#> Linux.  Has anyone tried using the exisiting partition for the guest OS
#> (Windows in this case, of course)? VMWare does have instructions for doing this.
#>
#> On the other hand, VMWare seems to want you to reinstall the Windows OS in a VM
#> which means that I have to assign a directory for the VM.  Is this a better way
#> to go than using the existing the hard disk partition?
#>
#> Thanks.
#>  --
#> Lisa Chiang