[ale] VmWare

Jim Popovitch jimpop at rocketship.com
Sun Jul 11 11:09:14 EDT 1999

> I am going to try out the evaluation copy of VMWare.  For
> home users its $75 til the end of July, I think.

Wow, It was free for trial use last month.

> Anyway, has anyone tried it out yet?  I'm interested if anyone
> has tried the following.  I already have my hard disk set up for
> dual booting Windows 98 and Linux.

I played around with VmWare just last month.  It's a real neat product, but
you have to have a really powerful machine to enjoy it.  I was using a
PII-350 w/ 128mb ram.  My primary OS was Linux (Mandrake 6.0).  I then used
VmWare to create two virtual machines.  On one of them I installed NT 4.0,
and on the other Solaris 7.  Everything went smoothly, the only downside was
the performance of the OS in the virtual machine.

> Has anyone tried using the exisiting partition for the guest OS
> (Windows in this case, of course)? VMWare does have
> instructions for doing this. On the other hand, VMWare
> seems to want you to reinstall the Windows OS in a VM
> which means that I have to assign a directory for the VM.
> Is this a better way to go than using the existing the hard
> disk partition?

I didn't think that was possible. I thought you always had to create the new
VM on the file system of the host OS.  I do know that you can allocate a
2gig partition for your VM, but VmWare won't automatically grab up 2gig of
available space.

-Jim