[ale] Technical reviewers needed

joe at linuxgeneralstore.com joe at linuxgeneralstore.com
Sat Jul 10 02:29:03 EDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Dream on pal. This is what publishers (periodicals and books) are
> using these days. I guess O'Reilly might probably be an exception to
> this but generally this is just the way the industry works. Unless
> your book is going to be on the NYTimes best sellers list, an author
> has little to no choice in the matter of tools to be used in writing.
> Making demands to the contrary generally means you simply won't get
> published.
>
> 	regards,
>
> 		Ben Scherrey

I might also point out: the fact that McMillan is approaching
us *at all* about re-writing their book, to address Linux issues
with hardware, is a sign of how far the Linux community has come
in the last two years.

The whole reason they approached us to write this book in the
*first* place is that when the 10th edition came out, all of
the information on configuring hardware assumed you ran a
Micro$oft operating system. Obviously the marketing gurus
know that this no longer applies; and I believe the rest of
the company will follow their lead.

Mike Smith (mike at linuxgeneralstore.com)
Linux General Store