[ale] Hybrid cable connection

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Wed Jul 7 12:47:28 EDT 1999

Phil,

You shouldn't need to worry about this. Does anything bad
happen if you just let eth0 be configured at boot time?
I should hope not.

I had a setup virtually identical to yours until this
morning (when my cable line was reprovisioned for 2-way
access). rc.inet1 ifconfig'd eth0 to 10.0.0.1, end of
story. When diald brought up the upstream link and
got its address, everything worked.

Luck,

-- Joe

Phil 49 wrote:

> I'm having trouble trying to automate the connection to my ISP using my
> hybrid cable modem access. I can get connected by manually activating the
> interfaces in RedHat's network configuration tool. Basically here is what I
> have running and my procedure for connecting to my ISP.
>
> RH 6.0
> NE2000 PCI NIC (It's a clone and set as eth0)
> *Static IP*
>
> US Robotics Sportster 33.6 on /dev/modem (/dev/ppp0)
> *DHCP*
>
> I activate the ppp0 interface. Listen for handshaking, wait approx 30
> seconds, and then activate eth0....Voila! Works great.
>
> I tried adding a line to ip-up, and ip-down in /etc/ppp respectively
>
> (ip-up)
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
>
> (ip-down)
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> But the eth0 comes up before an IP address is assigned to the ppp0 device.
> So, how can I delay bringing up the eth0 device, to wait until the ppp0 has
> been assigned an IP address?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...