[ale] Hybrid cable connection

Phil 49 phil49_98 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 10:10:10 EDT 1999

I'm having trouble trying to automate the connection to my ISP using my
hybrid cable modem access. I can get connected by manually activating the
interfaces in RedHat's network configuration tool. Basically here is what I
have running and my procedure for connecting to my ISP.

RH 6.0
NE2000 PCI NIC (It's a clone and set as eth0)
*Static IP*

US Robotics Sportster 33.6 on /dev/modem (/dev/ppp0)
*DHCP*

I activate the ppp0 interface. Listen for handshaking, wait approx 30
seconds, and then activate eth0....Voila! Works great.

I tried adding a line to ip-up, and ip-down in /etc/ppp respectively

(ip-up)

ifconfig eth0 up

(ip-down)

ifconfig eth0 down

But the eth0 comes up before an IP address is assigned to the ppp0 device.
So, how can I delay bringing up the eth0 device, to wait until the ppp0 has
been assigned an IP address?

Thanks,

Phil