[ale] Slackware and X : Error --->'linux' :unknown terminal type

Alan Bowman aminus at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 4 10:37:05 EDT 1999

> I installed ZipSlack (Linux 2.2.6) on an old Canon laptop. Everything
> seems to work fine. Then I installed X. I configured all the params
> for X. Now if I try to startx, I get the following error:
>     'linux': unknown terminal type.

On the console, type in <set>.  Near the bottom of the screen will be
TERM=???  For me, it's TERM=Linux.  Next, type in <env>. You'll have to
Shift+Page Up, but TERM is also probably set to Linux.  I'm on Slack
3.6, fwiw. Where you change this, I'm not sure.  It may be something in
the .bash_profile.

> I get the same message even if I try the "setterm" command. What am I
> doing wrong here? Can anyone point me in the right direction??
  Try  this --  at the command prompt, before you try to start X, type
in  $ TERM=vt100;export TERM   Then try <startx>.  I had the same
problem trying to  telnet to a SCO machine.  I kept getting the message
you're getting.  Once I changed the termtype, I was able to login.  As
to why you're getting this message, I have no idea.

> Thanks a lot
>
> Prabhakar

Let me know if this helps.

...alan