[ale] AlphaLinux site

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 3 08:17:07 EDT 1999

Vernard Martin writes:
 > > I have to agree.  Unless you want to run linux for linux's sake, DU
 > > is a great, great unix.  We run all of MindSpring on it and love it,
 > > and we're a company filled with linux bigots.
 >
 > However, Digitual Unix is expensive even as the commercial unix offerings go.
 > Usually close to $1500. Since Compaq released the fortran compiler for linux
 > and the optimized math libraries as well, alphalinux has become a very nice
 > alternative.

Yeah, but Linux tends to lag behind in production environments... In
the 2.2 release, it doesn't crash often, but it does crash, and when
it does, it takes 20-30 minutes to check all of the filesystems (we
have about 20GB of storage).  Without 2.2, an SMP box is effectively
no faster than a uniprocessor (I'm talking about Intel Linux here)

I know that doesn't sound like much on the face of it, but when
everyone in the office is milling around waiting for the server to
come back up, it kinda blows.  Oh man! We need a filesystem with log
based recovery!

Of course, I have some not so nice things to say about older releases
of Digital Unix too...  I have lost a lot of sleep while recovering
corrupt AdvFS filesystems!

-Eric.