[ale] X on a laptop

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jul 2 18:30:53 EDT 1999

You can increase the "Virtual" screen size so that you scroll the screen
when the mouse reaches the edge; you still only SEE 800x600 at a time, but
you are working with a 1024x768 screen. To do this, edit /etc/X11/XF86config
and change "Virtual 0 0" for your display adapter (SVGA?) to "Virtual 1024
768" (or whatever you think you can handle).

In terms of hardware, if 800x600 fills your LCD, then that is the most you
can see; there's no timing adjustments to allow you to see more.