[ale] X on a laptop

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jul 2 11:57:17 EDT 1999

I've had X running at 8 bpp for a long time and it has served me well.
I decided to install GIMP and get it going on this box.  Well, I need
more colors.

I tried both Xconfigurator and XF86Setup to add 16 bpp support to my X
environment.  Everything seems to work okay, until I use the mouse.
Basically the mouse will move about 3/4 of the way down the screen
and/or to the left.

It appears to 'think' I've reached the end of the screen in each case.
Also, it appears it's actually the cursor presentation and not the mouse
itself.  What I mean is, say I have an iconized app at the bottom of the
screen.  If I move the mouse as far as it will go down, I can actually
select the icon and de-iconize the app.  The cursor itself is not over
the icon, but X thinks it is.  So, the visual presentation of the cursor
and the actual placement of where X 'thinks' the cursor is do not match.

Has anyone ever seen this, and/or have any suggestions?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl